Rebel Moon is the next major motion picture blockbuster from legendary filmmaker Zack Snyder (300, Sucker Punch, Man of Steel, Justice League: Snyderverse (the good one), Army of the Dead) to come to Netflix so GotchaMovies wanted to provide an official guide to everything about the upcoming American science fiction space odyssey. Rebel Moon will be a 2 film story so this upcoming release will only be Part 1.
Story: In a universe controlled by the corrupt government of the Mother World, the moon of Veldt is threatened by the forces of the Imperium, the army of the Mother World controlled by Regent Balisarius. Kora, a former member of the Imperium who seeks redemption for her past in the leadership of the oppressive government, tasks herself to recruit warriors from across the galaxy to make a stand against the Mother World’s forces before they return to the planet.
- Sofia Boutella as Kora, a former member of the Imperium who rallies warriors from across the galaxy to fight against the Imperium.
- Djimon Hounsou as General Titus, former general of the Imperium recruited to lead the fight against the Imperium.
- Charlie Hunnam as Kai, a mercenary starship pilot hired by Kora.
- Michiel Huisman as Gunnar, a farmer and friend of Kora who joins her.
- Staz Nair as Tarak, a blacksmith with the ability to bond with animals of nature and rally them in combat who is recruited by Kora.
- Doona Bae as Nemesis, a cyborg swordmaster recruited by Kora
- Ray Fisher as Darrian Bloodaxe, a warrior recruited by Kora.
- Cleopatra Coleman as Devra Bloodaxe, Darrian’s sister recruited by Kora.
- E. Duffy as Millius, a refugee warrior recruited by Kora.
- Anthony Hopkins as the voice of Jimmy, the last member of a race of mechanical knights that served under the fallen king, recruited by Kora
- Jena Malone as Harmada, a lethal spider warrior recruited by Kora.
- Ed Skrein as Admiral Atticus Noble, Balisarius’ right-hand man, a high-ranking enforcer of the Mother World and leader of the Imperium army.
- Fra Fee as Regent Balisarius, a tyrannical ruler of the Imperium and high-ranking member of the Mother World.
- Stuart Martin, Corey Stoll, Cary Elwes, Alfonso Herrera, Rhian Rees and Ray Porter have been cast in undisclosed roles.
Rebel Moon is scheduled to be released on December 22, 2023, by Netflix, with a limited theatrical release being planned. A follow-up, Rebel Moon Part 2, was scheduled to be shot with the film back-to-back. Rebel Moon Part 1 and Rebel Moon Part 2 will receive both a PG-13 cut and an extended, R-rated cut.
Rebel Moon | Teaser Trailer
Rebel Moon | Behind The Scenes | Netflix
Rebel Moon Teaser Trailer Released by Netflix
- The Rebel Moon teaser trailer has officially dropped courtesy of Netflix. The first film of the 2-part film series will be called Rebel Moon Part 1: A Child of Fire and the 2nd film will be called Rebel Moon Part 2: The Scargiver. Watch above or click here.
Rebel Moon Official Movie Titles Have Been Released
- We officially have titles for the upcoming Netflix big budget science fiction films from Zack Snyder. The first installment of Snyder’s action sci-fi franchise for Netflix is set to be called Rebel Moon Part 1: A Child of Fire, which will be available for streaming on December 22, 2023. Meanwhile, the second installment is expected to be titled Rebel Moon Part 2: The Scargiver, which is reportedly eyeing a 2024 release.
Zack Snyder Talks Vision for Rebel Moon, Originally Star Wars Film
- Recent Rebel Moon news comes from the director himself discussing his own unique vision for a sci-fi epic. Despite his earlier plans for this to be a Star Wars movie, Snyder admits Rebel Moon’s Netflix release is a good thing in the end.
Snyder reveals “I think it was a blessing in a lot of ways. Creatively, it’s wide open. We’re all a little shaped by Star Wars at this point. You can’t not be.” Indeed, he makes a good point as the mythology of the Star Wars franchise makes it difficult to tell completely new stories without being forced to acknowledge the history of the universe.
The new Zack Snyder movie does seem to be its own distinct story which the director plans to expand into its own Star Wars-like shared universe with sequels and shows. It remains to be seen what the sequels have in store, but perhaps they will actually feature the “rebel moon” as Snyder reveals the titualr planet doesn’t appear in Rebel Moon. He explains that “The title is conceptual but there’s a planet named Vanna and Vanna is the rebel moon. It’s not even in one shot of this movie.”